Tuesday, March 22, 2011

3 Days, 762 Miles, 2 travelers

Something I've always loved: the wacky animated trail that Bugs Bunny leaves behind him when he's a) running from Elmer Fudd; b) foiling Elmer Fudd; c) heading toward Albuquerque; d) ending up at the North Pole because he didn't take that left turn at Albuquerque.

I'd love to be proficient enough at charts and graphs to make a Looney Tunes-style visual that would help all the readers of this blog keep up with Mary and Patricia's progress on their cross-country trek. Alas, I'm not. (And I'm no Bugs Bunny, but I'll do what I can on the hijinks front).

So far, the intrepid travelers have logged about 762 miles. They left Louisville, Ky., on Sunday and they're in Oklahoma City, Ok., tonight, according to Mary's latest Tweet. (See Twitter feed on the right).

I'd estimated a bit high in previous posts when I said it was 3,000 miles between point A and point B. (That would be from Louisville to Los Angeles). It's more like 2,180, according to a couple web sites I just checked.

I'm sure Mary has this number stuck in her head already. It has to have been frightening to think of how much distance that was to cover with Pat before they hit the road. It may be kind of overwhelming now, since Pat hurt her knee just before the trip started and needs a lot of extra time and help in navigating rest stops, hotels and restaurants.

Not that it was ever a quick jaunt, but it's become vastly more complicated. At this rate, it'll take about a week for them to arrive in L.A.

I shared Mary and Pat's coordinates this morning with my dad back in Kentucky, who instantly did the math.

"They might as well be in a covered wagon," he said.

Please, Mary, take that in the spirit in which it was intended. He's commiserating with you, and so am I.

Keep checking back, readers, and keep your fingers crossed for good weather, sturdy tires and unending patience. Mary and Pat will need all these.

No comments:

Post a Comment