Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mixed Feelings

We've made the only decision that was safe and smart for all involved: Mom will board a plane in Amarillo, Texas, tomorrow afternoon and arrive in Burbank at 4:15 p.m. She will then stay at my sister's house until she can officially move into her new place.

I will continue on with the car (and many of mom's belongings) and arrive in Los Angeles sometime Friday.

This change of plans is, without question, for everyone's greatest good. The farther we have come on this journey, the more fragile mom seems to become. I think (I hope) she can improve once everything settles down. But for now, I was becoming very afraid that our desire to continue on the road could actually jeopardize her overall health (mostly by way of a fall).

As for me, I am completely exhausted. If we'd had a pack horse tethered to the back of the car, maybe it would have saved some energy. Probably not since the most fatiguing part for me had become worrying about mom.

When we all agreed to this new plan, I cried. I wanted for mom and I to see it through on the road, together, as we envisioned. But this trip was supposed to be fun along with some difficult stuff rather than difficult and occasionally fun. Somewhere in the last 24 hours, it all turned upside down. We aren't taking our time across the great USA because we keep stopping to sightsee or explore. We are barely moving because it is physically impossible to go any faster under these circumstances. So I feel many things, most of all relief that mom is going to get safely to her new home. That's the point.

Tomorrow I will take mom to the airport and head for Albuquerque. She will worry about me until she sees me again in Los Angeles.

I will continue to blog...we may have changed our methods but this journey is far from over. Please keep following us.

No comments:

Post a Comment