Monday, March 21, 2011

Bend, Don't Break

"It's hard to speculate at this point because our situation is evolving on the ground."

Isn't that how the government describes delicate military operations when asked to predict an outcome?

And that's basically what I told my sister when we stopped here in Joplin, Mo., and I called her. She wondered when I thought we might arrive in Burbank. I officially have no idea.

Thursday...no way. Friday, she asked. I seriously doubt it. Sunday?? I'm not comfortable speculating.

We have traveled about 500 miles in 2 days, which is 300 miles less than my most leisurely estimate for travel. We just can't move normally right now.

Example: Usually we might stop for gas & take a bathroom break as well. Just pick an exit off the interstate, roll up to the pump & take turns in the loo. One person might even stroll through the mini mart for chewing gum or snacks. Then we pile back in the car and take off.  Well, that is quite literally NOT how we roll in this case.

Instead, whether or not either of us actually needs a bathroom, I notice that my mom is trying to get comfortable and can't. She can't stay in one position too long without her knee getting worse. When we stop, it's a huge effort for mom to get out of the car without tweaking her knee. She has to use the car door, the cane and a boost from me to stand up. Only then can she tell if her knee is stable or not. Now begins the painstaking walk to the restroom. This afternoon, her OTHER knee buckled along the way. Fortunately a chair was only a few steps further so she was able to sit.

She still hadn't even made it to the bathroom. I think you're getting the idea, right?

I feel myself about to cry watching her try so hard. Then I want to clobber her because she starts speeding up to get out of someone's way, jeopardizing her own safety so she won't be a bother. *sigh* Does anyone else smell the irony?

This evening I had to break it to her that we are not going to make it to LA as soon as I thought. It freaked her out for many reasons, among them the added costs of more hotels. She's also feeling nervous about her destination residence after we discovered a logistical glitch regarding her anticipated date of arrival. It appears we worked it out but it rattled her.

Even still we had a couple of chuckles over dinner (apples, string cheese, celery, carrots and potato chips -- we were both quite content). I'm hoping that tomorrow, having accepted our revised plan, mom can resume having fun on her trip.

I guess we'll see. After all, our situation is evolving on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment