Monday, March 28, 2011

Beam Me Up

If I could have any superpower, it would, without a doubt, hands down, be teleportation.

So underrated! When will it ever get its due? Maybe when Hollywood decides to make a really expensive movie about it? (I suggest Natalie Portman to play me!)

I've thought a lot about this superpower recently because Mary and her mother Patricia had been on the road, attempting a cross-country trek from our hometown in Louisville, Ky., to Los Angeles. That's 2,200 hard miles, even under ideal conditions. And as we all know, those don't exist. Their trip was complicated before it even go started, and it became more so as the miles wore on. (No spoilers here -- catch up by scrolling and reading).

If I had to do that drive again -- and I've sworn I never will -- I'd be praying like crazy to the gods at DC Comics or Stan Lee or the Pope or anybody who might be at all helpful in this matter. Just teleport me there. Please! Otherwise, it's not happening.

Note: There was a time, back in the days when air travel was glamourous and fun and didn't resemble riding on a giant city bus in the sky, where a plane trip was about as close as mere mortals could come to teleportation.

Alas, it's overstuffed and germy and annoying and slow now. Not at all like the "Bewitched" twinkle-the-nose or snap-the-fingers and pop up in the place you want to be. No, it's nothing like that.

Not that I have one handy, but not even a jet pack will do the trick.

So I'll keep dreaming about that most useful and freeing superpower. And I'll remain forever grateful that I didn't just have to make the arduous and exhausting trip (via blacktop and toll roads and other down-to-Earth avenues) that my friends Mary and Pat just made. (Read on to see how it all unfolded).

1 comment:

  1. Heat vision here. I'd like to have a bicycle that is run off of steam from water I would boil with my heat vision.

    And when I'm mean, I would just heat people up a degree or two.

    ReplyDelete