Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My head is swimming today.

I feel like before I leave I have to get a handle on things in two states and all the places in between. I have to leave everything in place at home so that my prolonged absence doesn't send MY life into chaos: pet sitting, mail pickup, plant watering, bill paying (which means having enough in the bank before I leave so that all those auto payments don't bounce into the stratosphere). I'm using the blog and tweets to stay connected to everyone which I think is going to be a lifesaver (thanks for the idea, Terry). I just don't like being physically gone from home for lengthy periods.

But that's not all. I want to be mentally prepared to support my mom in what is, no doubt, the hugest transition of her life in decades. EVERYTHING is about to change for her and it's a lot to take in. So I want to get my head clear enough to be present for her needs when I'm in Kentucky helping her with the final push. I just found out my sister will go there a few days ahead of me to do some prep work and I thank heavens for that. All hands on deck, right?

I also have to plan the trip route for the drive back and have some reasonable system in place for hotels on the road. Because the thought of wandering through rural Texas looking for a friendly inn with my 78-year-old mom in the car sounds just a little bit like the seventh circle of HELL. I got GPS on my phone so that I could find medical facilities quickly should that become necessary. Not that I'm expecting it but I want to have it just in case.

These are the kinds of thoughts that keep me up all night and also make me want to just go back to bed. Presuming I ever got out of bed. Which I kind of haven't done yet today. HEY! Don't judge me! Besides, I'm posting on Pacific Standard Time so it's not like it's afternoon.

Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment