Monday, March 7, 2011

My mom has lived in Kentucky her entire life. My sister and I live in Los Angeles. Last fall the doc said she could no longer live alone, which she has done since our dad died in 2005. So she's moving across the country to be close to us. Hmmm. What's THAT like? I'm curious to find out myself and I'm going to post my observations and experiences here.

Let me clear up something about the blog name: it's slightly inaccurate. It's catchy so that's why I like it. But really my mom is moving herself, with an enormous amount of help from her daughters. It's just that My Aging Mom Is Moving With An Enormous Amount of Help From Her Adult Daughters didn't seem like a good blog title, much less Twitter name.

My sister, Ruth, has insisted all along that I've done the lion's share of the work on our end. I'm not sure if that's true but she seems to thank me OFTEN. I know I don't feel like it's been disproportionate. I had more time available than my sister when all this blew up so I told her I didn't mind doing more of the footwork stuff (calling doctors, researching places for mom to live, etc.) -- as long as she didn't leave ANYTHING solely up to me in terms of decision-making. She agreed and we've been in this together every step of the way. Apparently to have the siblings getting along so well in this endeavor is rare. I don't know if that's true but I know I'm incredibly grateful that Ruth and I can support each other.

In only eight days I'll fly to Kentucky to help mom with the final packing. Then we'll drive away from her home and head west. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Of course Mary & fam, best of luck! Love & blessings your way <3

    ReplyDelete